Sunday 12 April 2015

Floranimal Skirt



Animal prints seem to be pretty popular at the moment. So do florals. But I have something better: floral animals! This fabric has elephants, giraffes, rhinoceroses and gorillas printed on it, all made out of pretty little flowers because of course they are. I'm a sucker for kitschy fabrics so obviously when I saw this one it had to be bought. It's from Spotlight, and it's some sort of painted/coated cotton, from memory. I think it's actually meant to be a furnishing or curtain fabric - the weight of it and the kind of waxy-feeling coating on it makes me pretty sure it wasn't meant for clothes. Oh well, it makes a great skirt so who cares what the fabric was 'meant' for?


I actually found the fabric a year or more ago, but hadn't gotten around to do anything with it. It wasn't event because I didn't know what to make, I always knew it was going to be an a-line skirt with pockets, but there was always something else I wanted to make first, so this kept getting pushed back. But as the weather is cooling down I wanted a more solid weight skirt to wear, so out came this fabric.


The skirt is self drafted, given it's just a basic a-line. It's slightly high waisted, with the waistband sitting just above the belly button. The stiffness of the fabric means it keeps its shape rather than settling softly as a more flowy fabric would. I think it also gives the skirt a fun feel.



I should have gotten around to making this skirt earlier - it's one of those very easy to do projects that are completed almost before they're started, which is always nice. And it's just a really fun fabric and an easy to wear skirt. I'm pretty sure this will get a lot of wear over the next six months. Actually, it'll probably become an all-year skirt rather than just the cool weather skirt it was originally planned to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment